25 Aug How to Make Hemp Oil Gummies at Home
You may have seen CBD or hemp oil gummies advertised online, in local dispensaries, or from some of your friends that have tried them. They look fun, just like the gummy candies you enjoyed as a kid and, if you’re anything like me, still enjoy from time to time. The two main differences between hemp oil gummies and the gummy bears and worms that childhood-you was feasting on are the price and the therapeutic effects that the former may have for you. Eating a bunch of sweet stuff was probably therapeutic back in the day, but hemp oil gummies might have legitimate medicinal properties that you can benefit from as well as the taste. Best part is, we’ve got a tried and true recipe below that you can make at home in no time.
What are Hemp Oil Gummies and Why Should I Use Them?
Hemp oil gummies and CBD gummies are the exact same thing – basically they refer to gummy treats in the shape of bears, wolves, snakes, worms, watermelons, maracas, or whatever mold the manufacturer decided to use in production. They taste like your run of the mill gummy bears, might be sweet or sour, might be dusted in sugar and might not (sorry/not sorry if you’re craving gummy bears at this point). Hemp oil and CBD gummies both contain a special extra ingredient, in the form of CBD-containing oil that has distinct medicinal purposes for people suffering from a wide variety of symptoms and illnesses.
Benefits of Hemp Oil Gummies and What They’ll do for You
If you are having serious anxiety, problems sleeping, muscle and joint pain, or are suffering from an illness that might be treated by CBD like epilepsy, you may want to try these gummies as a delicious way to medicate yourself. They are easy to consume and great tasting – which is not true for most hemp and CBD oils and tinctures, which tend to taste earthy to most people which in itself is not a desirable flavor. The CBD contained within these gummies will be released much more slowly than other consumption methods because your digestive system has control – between 20 minutes and an hour is a good estimate for timing if you are concerned.
However, you may feel the effects for 4-6 hours after inception due to the slow digestive process that your body undergoes and the slow release of CBD into your bloodstream. Taking CBD in this manner gives you a ton of control over the quantity and concentration that you want to take because the gummies are typically sold (or made) with a specific dosage of CBD on a per-gummy basis. The worst part of CBD or hemp oil gummies, by far, is the price. The good news is that if you don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for a very small number of gummies you can avoid it by learning how to make hemp oil gummies at home for much cheaper, and you can control the flavor!
Recipe – How to Make Hemp Oil Gummies
We made them, so it isn’t that hard, we promise!
Seriously, we tried a few recipes and combined some of the best parts of a few of them together. The best final product we got from home-made hemp oil gummies came from the recipe you’ll find below. So try this out at home, and avoid paying $40.00 or more for a bottle of 20 CBD gummies which will be gone before you know it.
What You Will Need
- Medium Saucepan
- Mold for gummies (or you can use the bottom of a small, shallow baking pan that you’ve lined with aluminum foil, but be ready to cut your gummies once they have set)
- Dropper bottle of Hemp Oil that contains either 100mg/mL or 50mg/mL of CBD
- This will be the most expensive component of your gummies, but you won’t need to use much of it each time you make this recipe so it will last an awfully long time
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, orange, or tart cherry juice*
- We struggle primarily with insomnia and anxiety and wanted to make sure we used pure fruit juices from fruits that naturally contain melatonin, which we feel has amplified the effect of our final gummy product. Having taken melatonin for sleep and anxiety before, it seemed like a legitimate partnership
- 4 tablespoons pure honey (Or 5 if you want them extra sweet)
- 4 tablespoons gelatin
- 5 ml of 100mg/mL Hemp Oil of your choosing (If using 50mg/mL, use 10mL)
- Make sure you aren’t using hemp seed oil by mistake!
- Turn your stove on at low heat – normally the “3” setting on your stovetop will do the trick if you have a normal one. Add the (hopefully) fresh squeezed fruit juice to a medium saucepan and heat it up to a light simmer. You don’t want it to boil, just make sure you start to see some steam coming off the sides of the saucepan.
- Now, add the gelatin and the honey and use your whisk to blend it all together – stir it for about 90 seconds just to be sure, especially because the honey will take a little longer to melt into your mixture.
- Now, add 5mL of the hemp oil that you should have purchased ahead of time. Each dropper is usually around 1mL, but double check the measurements on yours to make sure it isn’t more than that. Measure this carefully because you are currently determining how potent your gummies are going to be when they’re finished. Whisk the mixture one last time for about 30 seconds to make sure that your hemp oil is dispersed evenly throughout.
- You’re just about done! Turn off the stove and pour your mixture into your gummy molds, or into the shallow pan that you have lined with tinfoil. Place the mold into the refrigerator to let it set. I would recommend letting it set for about 45 minutes to an hour if you are using the gummy molds, and about 75-90 minutes if you are using the pan-lining method. Note – if you want, after about 15 minutes, you can remove the mold from the fridge for a brief time just to dust the tops of the gummies with some powdered sugar for extra sweetness.
- After you have waited for your gummies to set, you can remove them from the molds and enjoy them. If you have used the pan-lining method, you will need to remove them from the tinfoil and use a knife to creatively cut them into whatever awkward triangular or square shapes you can conjure up.
These should stay good and edible for 10-12 days, but they’ll likely be gone before then because you’ll want to share them with your friends.
NOTE: Each of these gummies will contain the same amount of CBD, but you will have to do the math to figure out potency for yourself. As an example, if you have followed the recipe directly and used 5mL of 100mg/mL of hemp oil, you will have 500mg dispersed through all of your gummies. If your final result is 25 equal sized gummies, each one will contain 20mg of CBD which is enough for a low-medium dose on it’s own.
That’s all folks! It’s that simple. We encourage you to try this recipe and learn how to make hemp oil gummies for yourself. Don’t forget to send your feedback (or photos of your final product) to us at [email protected] and we’ll post it up for all to see.